|Tuesday||3:45 – 4:30
5:30 – 6:30
|Pre Ballet, for 5 year olds (45-minute class)
Beginning Tap, for 7 to 10 year olds
|Wednesday||3:45 – 4:30
4:30 – 5:30
5:30 – 6:30
6:30 – 7:30
|Creative Movement, must be age 4 by Sept 1 (45-minute class)
Beginning Ballet, for 6 year olds with some previous pre ballet
Advanced Beginning Ballet, for 7 and early 8 year olds, previous ballet required
Advanced Intermediate Ballet, for 10 to 12 year olds, pre pointe
|Friday||4:30 – 5:45||Advanced Ballet/Pointe, for 12 + year olds||Ribble|
Snow Days, Absences, Make-up Classes
Two snow days per year are made up during the recital week (this week is not paid for in the schedule). If we have more than two snow days, they will be made up at regular class time where possible. Make-ups will be announced by early April.
Personal absences are made up by attending the class at the next highest level. Please encourage your child to regard each class as a building block with new steps and details being added each week. Each absence creates a gap, especially in the second semester as the recital approaches. Please help us impart the idea of getting to class on time and commitment to a group, of “being there” for a partner and being someone we can depend on, all of which is essential in the discipline of ballet. Attendance is closely monitored and more than 3 absences in the second semester will disqualify a child for the recital unless absences have been made up. If a child is ill or contagious and has to be absent, please give us the courtesy of a phone call by 2:00, so that we can reorganize class plans so as to not introduce a new step. We will not get any phone calls that come in after 2:00 when we are in the studio where there is no phone.
Required Class Attire & Hair Treatment
- Black leotard (short or long sleeved) and pink footed tights.
- Optional: pink ballet skirt. The Motionwear Pull-On Wrap Crepe Skirt (Style #1011) is a great, easy-to-use option.
- Pink ballet shoes (drawstring-less preferred: Capezio “Lily” or Bloch “Belle”).
- For ballet shoes with drawstrings: The teacher will help students trim strings and double knot them. Then the remaining short strings (about an inch), are tucked into the the ballet shoes. Please, no little bows that can come untied during class and be distracting.
- Hair in a bun. There are many useful ballet bun-making tutorials on YouTube. If short, hair must be off the face. No ponytails – they whip the face and injure eyes during turns.
- No jewelry allowed that can fly up and chip teeth, hit eyes or simply distract a child’s attention. No dangling or clinking, noisy bracelets.
- Black leotards or unitards and light colored tights.
- Black tap shoes, ribbon tie or Mary Jane strap style.
- Hair away from face.
- No shorts or T-shirts.
- NEVER WEAR TAP OR BALLET SHOES AS STREET SHOES; Doing so tracks grit and street grease onto the dance floor.
- Dancers are expected to carry dance shoes in a special dance class bag that also contains extra headbands, bobby pins, brush, tissues and
other items necessary for class.
- Please clearly label all dance shoes with permanent marker.
- Please do not play at the park in your dance tights, which easily snag.
PURCHASING DANCE SHOES AND CLOTHING
There are many online retailers, but choosing the correct size remotely can be very difficult. We recommend going to Robcyns, a
family-owned business in the Bradlee Shopping Center. They are very knowledgeable about different styles of dance shoes and correct sizing. Students can try on shoes and make sure that the fit is correct. They also carry dance apparel. If you visit their store and benefit from their expertise, please do purchase the shoes from their store.
Drop off & Pick up
Please park, load and unload on Wilkes St. ONLY – NEVER on Fairfax St. We are generally in the classroom 15 minutes before the first class of the day. If you are late picking up after our last class, your child will be upstairs looking for you inside the front door.
If you have questions, please call or write:
430 S. Fairfax St.
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 338-1330